Skip to content

More new experiences…

July 1, 2011

It’s been a long day..

I awoke this morning at 4:20, to get ready for the taxi, on which I decided to splurge, to bring me to the airport. I don’t regret the decision, as it was raining this morning, and I was tired, and the taxi TO the airport is far cheaper than the taxi FROM the airport. So the splurge was worthwhile.

So it was that I was waiting at 5 a.m. in the rain for my taxi. I had a moment of unease when he came in, looked for someone across the courtyard, and ignored my waving hands. Then he returned, went to the same place, finally saw me, and brought me to the airport.

The first flight was uneventful. Two hours to Vienna, a bit of breakfast. I got in, visited the duty-free shop, had another breakfast/early lunch, ended up finishing the novel I started at the Kiev airport (“The Girl Who Played With Fire”) and awaited my next flight.

On my booking confirmation, it said it was a turbo-prop jet. I wondered if it really would be. As it turned it, it truly was. We got on the bus, went out on the tarmac, and I heard someone ask “is that OUR airplane”(It was not in English, but the good thing about learning Ukrainian and Russian, I have found, is that I can pick up on some other languages).

So it was that I had my first experience on a prop jet. I had been promised such an experience in the past, but it never panned out. However, this time it actually did, and for the first time in my life, I took a prop jet. I have to admit, I have a strong stomach for flying, and even I had a couple of challenges with that flight. But it was really cool in the fact that we flew beneath the clouds…I had never flown in a prop jet before now (check that one off the list…)

But it was bumpy. So bumpy that the people in front of me were laying down in order to avoid an unpleasant side effect…

So now I have another new experience to add to my belt, so to speak. I have now flown on a prop jet – granted, it was not a four-seater, but it was still smaller than anything else I had flown in..

So I arrived in Prague, took a bus, then a metro, then a tram. The first thing I noticed about Prague was how many red roofs there were on their buildings. It is, from what I have seen so far, a really beautiful city..I cannot wait to see more of it. And it has been a pleasant surprise to discover that I understand a lot of the language (at least so far, basics…someone asked me the time in the Metro and I was actually able to understand and answer him). The dim spot was when I was trying to get off the bus and my stupid suitcase lost its wheels! This is the suitcase I bought only a month or so ago! GRR!!! Need to return that suitcase when I am back in Kirovograd, but until them I am exercising my muscles and carrying the suitcase!

In the mean time, I have been enjoying my time with Jen, whom I have not seen in 18 years, and Linda, with whom I have been corresponding and talking, but finally am spending time with her in person!

More from Prague in the next few days!


No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: